May 07, 2007

From ZZZZZ's to A's



The bottom line: Teens need 9.25 hours of sleep per night
In experiments done at Harvard Medical School and Trent University in Canada, students go through a battery of tests and then sleep various lengths of time to determine how sleep affects learning. What these tests show is that the brain consolidates and practices what is learned during the day after the students (or adults, for that matter) go to sleep. Parents always intuitively knew that sleep helped learning, but few knew that learning actually continues to take place while a person is asleep. That means sleep after a lesson is learned is as important as getting a good night's rest before a test or exam.

At the risk of sounding "mom-ish", have you taken this into consideration in your preparation for your upcoming test? I know you mentioned it in a scribe as being discussed in class!

Asking only because, when I was sleep deprived, I know I wasn't fully aware of how much more difficult problem solving and remembering was. I never fully realized how sleep deprivation changed my abilities and me until after I started getting adequate sleep.

Another factor in your preparation to be your very best for your test??

No comments: