April 03, 2007

Hey math buddies...

This is not math related, but I need your help. In my jounalism class and also for the school paper, I'm writing a story on downloading music and I need your opinions! ... I also don't have much time :

Most people don't think of downloading music as stealing. Do you? I've certainly never thought of it that way. I just thought of it as a way of listening to music. If I really like the song then go out and buy it. You don't want to be stuck with an album that sucks and your stuck with it. I mean how much is a CD, like $15 to $20. Most people think "why spend the money when you can get it for free?" Therefore, saving that money for something else. I mean what about libraries. Is there a difference between borrowing a book and reading it for free and listening to a song for free?

There are copyright laws that need to be respected but most people don't think about it. In the states you here about people, even as young as 12, being sued by RIAA for downloading. I mean imagine being a 12 year old and recieving a letter saying your being sued. Does the same thin happen in Canada.

I think the music industry needs to discover a new approach. Internet is obviously here to stay and we have access to sooo much, including free music, to millions of people.

You're opinions will be greatly appreciated, it wouldn't be fair to include only my opinion since this topic has so many other views.

By the way, have you guys checked out the new school paper?? =D

I don't know what to label this... BOB? Yes I'll call it BOB

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashlynn,

Not a student opinion--

You asked what about libraries and borrowing a book. Did someone pay for that book that you borrowed? Can you borrow CD's from the library and return them? Is it possible the difference is that downloading free music is taking someone's property without permission or paying?

I did find a 2003 article here that does present both sides and includes the reference you made to the 12 year old. What have you found currently? Is iTunes a viable kind of alternative? Can you hear a snippet of a song on Amazon?

Too many questions?
Lani

lindsay said...

ashlynn! i read the school newspaper today before announcements! XD. well yes, copyright laws should be respected. those artists worked for it right? they're not making as much money as they could since there's people downloading their music instead of buying it...even though they're still outrageously wealthy. but some people can't afford it...and if it's free well, you'd take it wouldn't you? A lot of people download music...but if they like it enough, they buy it anyway! since artists are still making big bucks, no one is getting hurt are they? well hm i don't know. XD good luck with your article

MarK13 said...

Twelve yr olds getting sued in the states is very true. I know some people in the states that told me they downloaded lime wire to get a song they like. After getting the song using lime wire, they deleted lime wire. It's Kind of funny because most people have mp3 players too. Anyways, i respect artists and i purchase a disc if that artist has good amount of songs. Downloading music is difficult to stop, because it's being done by a huge majority of the world. Downloading could be stopped, if the internet is stopped altogether =p. I don't think that will happen though. =)

Suzanne said...

Hmm... this is an interesting issue. Obviously there are copyright issues here, and artists deserve to be compensated for their work. But I also feel that everyone should have equal opportunity to access books, music, etc. It isn't fair that someone who can't afford music doesn't get the chance to hear it. So in an ideal world everyone would have access to all media, and the artists would get adequate compensation. Unfortunately I can't think of any way to make that happen.

Personally, I do occasionally buy cds, and I have done so in some cases because I enjoyed something that I downloaded by that person. So in my cases downloading has resulted in an increase in my spending.

Another reason for downloading stuff is that it's just impossible to buy. For instance, I really like Japanese music. But it's practically impossible to buy in Canada. (Though it's becoming easier to find! I was able to get some from amazon) I was wondering if downloading music produced in other countries would constitue illegal activity. Does it apply to the copyright laws in the country you live in or the country where the music was made?

As for iTunes, once I actually have money of my own to spend, I would definetly consider using it. It seems to be a much cheaper way of getting the music that you want. Maybe the solution to this problem created by the internet can be resolved using the internet :)